Letter: Killers at large
Monday 18 January 1999
No one of any sensitivity at all wishes to see mentally ill people needlessly locked up, but neither does anyone want the brutal and unnecessary death of innocent people who simply happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is a sad fact that in recent times such deaths have occurred because a psychiatrist or other person who "knows" about such matters has made an error of judgement resulting in a homicidally dangerous patient being at large in the community.
Dr Hopker points to a reduction in the number of such homicides; I suggest that if one of the victims had been close to Dr Hopker, he would consider that to have been one murder too many. I would say to Dr Hopker that whilst all of us who are not psychiatrists do not think of the mentally ill as "nutters" or "psychos", we do all wish to be free of a fear of being murdered by a patient who has been judged by the good doctor or one of his colleagues to be fit to be at large.
GEORGE F YOUNG
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers