Letter: King in a nightie
Thursday 24 September 1998
Charles I and his courtiers were arguably the most foppish group ever to rule a European state. You only have to look at Van Dyck's portraits. These aristocrats are daintiness personified - magnificently fragile and exquisitely perfumed. They were astonishing aesthetes, too, buying up the masterpieces of European, and especially Italian, painting as if there were no tomorrow.
It is quite logical, therefore, that King Charles I should choose to wear women's clothing on his date with destiny. This revelation is a cause for celebration. In these post-Diana times, the Royal Family should relish the fact that one of their great forebears was a transvestite.
Arts & Ents blogs
The Full Monty to close in West End after one month despite Olivier nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is not bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past role cut to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli on why she wants more male nudity in the show
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Britain’s five richest families worth as much as poorest 20 per cent, says Oxfam
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers