Letter: Kosovo: no lectures from China, please
Tuesday 11 May 1999
It is two generations (with the honourable exception of Lord Carrington) since a British politician of any colour has accepted responsibility for conspiracy or cock-up in his ministry. So who will account for this disaster?
Managing to kill four neutral civilians in their own territory is an incompetence at least as great as being in thrall to an eccentric whilst in charge of a football team; failure to compare "intelligence" reports about the whereabouts of important buildings with up-to-date street-maps of Belgrade is negligent idleness commensurate with the failure on the part of a politician to see the inappropriateness of accepting a loan from a wealthy friend and colleague.
I and the People's Republic of China want to know who gets sacked.
J W A BARNES
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up