Letter: Kosovo: no lectures from China, please
Tuesday 11 May 1999
It is two generations (with the honourable exception of Lord Carrington) since a British politician of any colour has accepted responsibility for conspiracy or cock-up in his ministry. So who will account for this disaster?
Managing to kill four neutral civilians in their own territory is an incompetence at least as great as being in thrall to an eccentric whilst in charge of a football team; failure to compare "intelligence" reports about the whereabouts of important buildings with up-to-date street-maps of Belgrade is negligent idleness commensurate with the failure on the part of a politician to see the inappropriateness of accepting a loan from a wealthy friend and colleague.
I and the People's Republic of China want to know who gets sacked.
J W A BARNES
Arts & Ents blogs
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >