Letter: Lawrence tragedy
Friday 26 February 1999
Most Metropolitan Police Commissioners could echo the words of Sir Harold Scott, the first postwar commissioner. In 1954 he said " We in this country can count ourselves lucky that the police have always stood outside the political scrimmage". In other words "we run our own show". I suspect the French Interior Minister exercises more control over the CRS riot police than Jack Straw does over the Met.
It was not always so. Much of the nineteenth century policing was locally controlled by elected committees; the police in Scotland are still run by committees of elected local representatives. If, for the last 40 years, we had had a GLC with a police committee of elected councillors (without magistrates, please) running the Met, there would have been no need for an inquiry into Stephen Lawrence's murder: he would probably never have been murdered.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world