Letter: Lawrence tragedy
Friday 26 February 1999
There are additional considerations. A multi-ethnic society manifests ethnic variations in social behaviour; for example, marriage customs, occupational preferences, recreational substance choice. So why not types of crime? Not prejudice but experience leads policemen to suppose that athletic youths are more likely than old ladies to be street criminals. Age, gender and class are implicated in criminality statistics; why not a "race" factor also?
I do not, of course, mean that a Stephen Lawrence is less law-abiding than a David Norris just because his skin is darker, but it does mean there could be average group differences relevant to suspect-search in large communities.
A T L FOSTER-BARNES
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First