Letter: Life in the slow lane
Saturday 06 February 1999
Many years ago I asked the then chief examiner, Mr David Norris, if we should all be teaching our pupils to drive at 20mph in residential areas as recommended in the Department of Transport leaflet "Kill Your Speed, Not A Child" which was then displayed at driving test centres. His reply was: "We allow the DoT to display these leaflets but we do not necessarily agree with the content."
Incidentally, one of the main reasons for the new extended test, to be applied from 4 May, is to include more fast driving. So does the DSA think the main problem with today's drivers is that they are too slow?
Department of Transport approved driving instructor
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 British tourists 'murdered' in Thailand: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Vivienne Westwood says 'Yes' to Scottish Independence by declaring: 'I hate England'
- 3 Welcome to Cameroon, where drinking Baileys can lead to imprisonment
- 4 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 5 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
Salmond accused of laughing off national debt with ‘what are they going to do: invade?’ joke