Letter: Long wait for a train
Tuesday 04 May 1999
However, a line like the Heart of Wales exists for the communities it passes through, not just for visitors, welcome though tourism is.
My local station is the next up from Sugar Loaf Halt, at the busy little town of Llanwrtyd Wells. I work in the county town of Powys, Llandrindod Wells, half an hour up the line, within sight of the station there. However, like many others, I am unable to commute by rail - the first train goes up the line from here at 06.39 and the next is not until 10.55. Similarly, I would either have to leave work at half past two or wait until seven at night.
So, like many others who live and work in the area, I am forced to commute by car (no bus either). If like many of the low-waged workers in this area, you can't afford to run a car, your job opportunities are severely limited. Similarly, with only four trains a day each way, if you need to shop or visit the dentist or local hospital, you have just as many problems.
We need a properly integrated and supported transport system in rural areas just much as urban ones.
Llanwrtyd Wells, Powys
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- < Previous
- Next >