Letter: Lords lottery
Thursday 04 November 1999
To have an elected second chamber would be a pointless duplication of the first. It could not be achieved without political party machinery and all that involves. There is now an opportunity for a real democratic reform, and it should not be squandered.
In ancient Athens, the cradle of democracy, the council was constituted by lottery. That is the only truly democratic system. In applying it to the composition of the second chamber of Parliament, every stakeholder would have the right, though not the obligation, to participate in a draw, held every four years, for membership of the second House for a term of 12 or 16 years. Members would be remunerated and pensioned.
The main political parties would have some, but limited, representation in the second chamber, which should also be enhanced by the appointment of persons of significant experience to be nominated by a commission.
R G H BRIGGS
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Lynda Bellingham dead: Loose Women presenter dies after battle with colon cancer
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing