Letter: Mad scientist
Thursday 11 February 1999
"I am the product of a fish" doesn't sound totally sensible, and yet the theory of evolution relies on it. This letter arrived by e-mail at The Independent's offices because millions of tiny particles, which aren't always particles but are sometimes waves, vibrated down a piece of copper and were converted into words by a piece of silicon. Sound "barking mad"? It does to me!
If those brought up in a religion believe something that is "barking mad", how much more those that are "converted" to the faith of modern- day science!
Department of Engineering
University of Reading
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women