Letter: Media aid for Serbs
It is a great strength in our country and other democracies normally to listen to all points of view in matters of contention. But in war, stricter rules must apply. Decisions have been made, whether the media like or not, to commit men to battle. Everything possible should be done to support the men at war and every means used to avoid undermining the morale of those in battle and those "who only stand and wait". The media need to descend a little from their Olympian heights of detachment.
In the 1939-45 war, Defence of the Realm Acts prevented the publication of news tending to aid and support Hitler. If such measures had not been taken, public morale would have been sapped over the six years of the conflict, as it was sapped in America in the Vietnam War. The media now should learn the lesson, as the present war and its aftermath drag on through the years - yes, years - that they have a vital part to play if we and our Nato allies are to come out of it successfully.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Top A&E doctors warn: 'We cannot guarantee safe care for patients anymore'
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.