Letter: Mere players
Friday 02 July 1999
I noticed that what I took to be the men's singles event was actually designated as "Gentlemen's Singles Championships". May I suggest this is a misnomer, as page 25 of the programme enumerates the considerable prize money on offer. Surely any "gentleman" would be sufficiently embarrassed by the prospect of making any financial gain from his prowess on the field of play, beyond that of a sporting wager perhaps, never to enter.
As for the "ladies", even a sporting wager would be most unseemly!
Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain