Letter: Mere players
Friday 02 July 1999
I noticed that what I took to be the men's singles event was actually designated as "Gentlemen's Singles Championships". May I suggest this is a misnomer, as page 25 of the programme enumerates the considerable prize money on offer. Surely any "gentleman" would be sufficiently embarrassed by the prospect of making any financial gain from his prowess on the field of play, beyond that of a sporting wager perhaps, never to enter.
As for the "ladies", even a sporting wager would be most unseemly!
Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians