Letter: Milosevic's role
Monday 03 May 1999
There are rogue elements in any army and any society. But such acts are thankfully rare and, unless given official approval, remain rare.
We have yet to hear any mention of Milosevic condemning, or even distancing himself from the atrocities in Kosovo and therefore it seems a reasonable assumption that they are being committed with his connivance if not actually at his command.
The main point of my earlier letter, which Mr Flintoff alludes to, is not that there weren't differences between the Holocaust and the Kosovan situation, but that the similarities are more important. Whether mass terror is created as an object of government policy or simply as a result of government policy, the civilised nations of the world have a duty to stop it.
Thankfully there does at least appear to be a genuine ethical element in the foreign policy of the Western democracies.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Samuel Beckett's biographer reveals secrets of the writer's time as a French Resistance spy
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Star Wars 7: Plot details 'leak', with sequel's opening sequence and premise revealed
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- < Previous
- Next >