Letter: Nicaraguan plight
Monday 16 November 1998
Is it because the eloquent pleas of the Nicaraguan ambassador in London have fallen silent? So everything's all right, then?
No, it is not. As a group, we have family, friends, colleagues in five different areas of Nicaragua, all devastated by Hurricane Mitch. They tell of local fields drowned in water or buried by landslides; peasants rebuilding their lives on mud full of decomposing bodies; 720 Indians whose SOS from the overflowing river Coco was picked up by British aircraft carriers, but who had disappeared when the helicopters flew over.
These accounts flesh out the wider statistics - economic activity in half the country wiped out; 70 per cent of the national infrastructure destroyed.
Let's not be put off by silly politicians' pride. Nicaragua's disaster is not over. All the hurricane-hit countries need our attention. Aid should, and must, get to them all, fairly channelled and distributed by the charities of the Disaster Emergency Committee.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassingly brilliant leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations