Letter: Plea for design
Wednesday 24 March 1999
The British public, more than their continental counterparts, are conservative to a degree in their taste for design and architecture. This is largely due to ignorance and the "I know what I like" syndrome. Until we start to teach good contemporary design in schools from an early age this will be an ongoing problem. When I was a member of the RIBA council over 20 years ago my main object was to achieve this goal.
It is no good for the Government to set up advisory bodies unless the public at large understands what good design is all about. I am constantly saddened by the young couple, he with his Lotus car and Gucci shoes, she with her Versace dress, who only want to live in a thatched half-timbered cottage with leaded windows and low beams to bang your head on (provided they have all the latest gadgets inside and a streamlined kitchen).
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 4 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 5 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >