Letter: Police road-blocks
Monday 17 August 1998
Last year on our roads, 3,599 people were killed. Six people, including a two-year-old child, were killed at Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire, in September 1993 by a truck with worn-out brakes. This is the type of tragedy Operation Mermaid aims to prevent.
Since Mermaid started in 1995 it has found over 6,000 tachograph offenders, stopped almost 2,500 overweight vehicles and taken 5,500 dangerous vehicles off the road. In the process, it has helped to combat theft, terrorism and other illegal activities.
As part of this nationwide operation, we have invited colleagues from other agencies to join us to tackle issues including fraudulent benefit claims, immigration matters and alcohol and tobacco smuggling. They too have had impressive results.
Chairman, Traffic Committee, Association of Chief Police Officers
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk