Letter: Portillo's record
Sir: The selection of a homophobic candidate like Michael Portillo to fight the Kensington and Chelsea by-election is the moral equivalent of choosing a racist. It shows that the Tory party remains as bigoted and intolerant as ever.
The Conservatives would not dare to select someone who advocates discrimination against black people. Why, then, are they standing a candidate who supports discrimination against lesbians and gay men? And why is there no great media and public outcry over this bare-faced opposition to gay human rights?
During his period as an MP, Mr Portillo voted in favour of Section 28, which has resulted in the censorship of gay issues in schools and the denial of support to vulnerable gay teenagers. He also voted against an equal age of consent, endorsing the criminalisation of 16 and 17-year- old gay men.
As Defence Secretary, Mr Portillo upheld the ban on homosexuals in the military.
If any candidate advocated similar discrimination against the black community they would be deemed unfit for public office.
Outrage!, London SW14
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories