Letter: Pressure on schools

Click to follow
The Independent Culture
Sir: I had a schooling not unlike Dr Anthony Hedges (letter, 21 July). I expect that he had strong parental support, just as I did. As he has apparently done, I obtained a degree of success in my chosen field. But just as I am taller than some, and shorter than others, I realise that I am cleverer than some, and not as clever as others.

At the time of which he writes, about 5 per cent of children reached grammar schools. Does he really believe that every one of the other 95 per cent could have achieved what he did, if only they had chanted their tables?

The education system must be suitable for all, not just those who are capable of becoming doctors or Fellows of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.

W J HYDE (FIEE)

Offham,

Kent

Comments