Letter: Priorities in Kosovo
Tuesday 06 April 1999
From 1993 onwards, I and many others (including Branka Magas) worked to support an undivided multi-ethnic Bosnia. Through experience in that war I drew the conclusion that the Western governments need Milosevic. They need a "strongman" of the Balkans. The rights of Bosnians, Kosovar or Serbs are of little or no consideration. They need a Milosevic and if, from time to time, they cut him down to size, they also quickly shore him up again.
For 10 years Kosovo Albanians have suffered a growing hell. Any democrat who knows their situation will support their right to self-determination. But Blair, Cook and Clinton have resolutely refused to support this right and their present military actions only make sense if judged, not from the claimed humanitarian purpose, but from their strategic goal - to stop the emergence of an independent Kosovo.
The people of Europe are going to have to find other means than Nato to stop ethnic cleansing. Thousands of young Albanians are joining the KLA but by themselves they will be slaughtered. What needs to be discussed is by what means we will all come to their assistance. Only this kind of international movement of solidarity will remove Milosevic and all those who think like him.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow