Letter: Rail firms on track
Monday 26 April 1999
In the last three years more than 1,000 new train services every day have been launched and many of them are on rural, semi-rural or cross- country routes. Some of these new initiatives prove to be popular and successful but others fail to attract enough passengers and are withdrawn, so that we can go on to fund other routes which are more successful in attracting passengers.
Growth and change are to be expected of the expanding, dynamic industry that rail has become, and are hardly a cause for national mourning. Dark hints about "a second Beeching" are particularly ill-judged since more people are travelling by train now than at any time since Beeching wielded his axe.
Association of Train Operating Companies
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women