Letter: Reinstate Dallaglio
Wednesday 26 May 1999
I wonder, though, if all Monday's outrage isn't exactly what the tabloid press is seeking. Bullies, I was always told, should be ignored; nothing annoys them more than a lack of reaction. But the moment any sensational story breaks at weekends, when the circulation war is at its hottest, the Monday presses roll out the accusations and counter-accusations.
What if the "decent" press and the broadcasting services paid no attention to such muck-raking? Might it not evaporate and allow the authorities (in this case the RFU) some space for informed discussion without all the attendant hysteria?
Richard Williams ("our moral maze", 25 May) rightly asks what this country of ours really wants: well I, for one, want an England rugby team with a captain.
tvSpolier alert: Find out the result of a heated final show
peopleWhat advice would David Cameron give to his younger self?
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 5 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- < Previous
- Next >