Letter: Reptiles on rafts
Friday 16 October 1998
Sir: Sean O'Grady (Barometer, 10 October) comments on the rafting of iguanas between West Indian islands. This is not a new phenomenon.
Prior to the closing of the Central American isthmus the West Indies was open to the Pacific and rafts of red mangrove carried organisms out into the Pacific currents. This is how the ancestors of the three endemic Galapagos iguana species are believed to have reached those remote islands off the Ecuadorian coast.
Even more surprisingly, the Southern Equatorial Current is believed to have carried rafts of West Indian red mangrove westwards across the Pacific before turning south towards Fiji and Tonga. This is believed to be the route followed by the ancestors of the two rare Fijian iguanas and three western Pacific boas which are the only representatives of their families in the Melanesian/Polynesian region otherwise inhabited by agamas and pythons.
Curator of Reptiles
West Midland Safari Park
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures