Letter: Rich man's war
Monday 12 April 1999
Sir: Sometimes I can hardly believe what I am hearing: the most sophisticated technology in the world but somehow it can't work if there are a few clouds or ground mist - sounds like leaves on the track or the wrong kind of snow!
Now we are told that Kosovo is inaccessible to troops because there are no proper roads - presumably modern tanks only work on motorways.
Our forefathers would be ashamed of us; Omdurman was a remote inaccessible place, as were Sebastopol and Missolonghi, but they got there and were not afraid to put their lives on the line for a cause (which is actually what armies are for).
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 5 How the NHS is being dismantled in 10 easy steps
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
WWE wrestler Dolph Ziggler defends his misspelled ‘MEGADEATH’ jacket patch
Jeremy Clarkson 'set to earn £10 million a year' for post-Top Gear Amazon Prime show
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser