Letter: Role model
Thursday 09 September 1999
However, I cannot help wondering whether Mr Blunkett's enthusiasms would extend as far as allowing school pupils to be taught the whole story about Turing. As a gay man, he was persecuted, criminalised and eventually driven to suicide by an ungrateful post-War establishment.
All gay pupils are in desperate need of positive role-models, to bolster self-esteem that is all-too-often under verbal - and sometimes physical - attack from their homophobic peers. Even assuming that teachers would feel able to cite Turing's achievements in support of such a positive role-model, under the constraints of Section 28, could Mr Blunkett be counted on for his support of this action? I ask this because of his failure to support, in recent parliamentary votes, the lowering of the age of consent for gay men.
Mr Blunkett may be keen to foster new Turings of the mathematical kind, but how many will he and those like him foster of the tragic, suicidal kind?
S J DENTON
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers