Letter: RUC name change
Monday 13 September 1999
If we continue to hold Northern Ireland by military force then we inherit responsibility for the crime of our forebears. There must be a referendum in England to determine whether we want to preserve the Union with Northern Ireland or dissolve it. Our consent is required. We too have a veto and our veto is decisive.
Would we not be better friends and neighbours apart than in a union which will never work? Are the "nay-sayers" to be allowed to go on holding us to ransom for another generation with their threats of mayhem? We do not need a province across the Irish Sea.
But we must not leave the six counties in the lurch. If we decide to dissolve the Union we must also provide for each of the six counties to choose, by referendum, to become an independent statelet (like Liechtenstein), a member of an independent Ulster with other counties that so choose, or a member of the Republic of Ireland.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassing leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories