Letter: Russia's Nato fears
Thursday 29 April 1999
So far, Iraquising Serbia has accelerated Milosevic's ethnic cleansing programme, disabled internal opposition to him, sidelined and insulted the Russians, and vastly increased the danger of destabilisation of an entire region. The political immaturity of throwing our military weight around and demanding total surrender and humiliation contrasts with Tony Blair's correct tactic in Northern Ireland: of wearing out the IRA by unremitting, constantly renewed negotiation. Even they can now see that a return to violence would leave them discredited.
The steps to peace and resolution are truth, trust, and finally consent, however long and hard the road. At present, in the Balkans, we aren't even attempting them.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch 'first sexy Holmes', says Mark Gatiss
Jared Leto: Best Supporting Actor Oscar sparks backlash from transgender community
In Kony's shadow: Shocking photographs reveal brutality of Lord's Resistance Army
Jessica Alba interview: From Hollywood superwoman to household product CEO
Captain Phillips actor Barkhad Abdi struggles financially despite Oscar nomination
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Channel 4 announces two-hour TV show to be broadcast 'Live from Space' later this month