Letter: Scots out in the cold
Friday 04 December 1998
But a newly independent Scotland would have to apply to join and be accepted by the Council of Ministers. Would Spain, conscious of separatist voices among Basques and Catalans, vote to reward separatist Scots in this way? Would France consider that to do so was sending the right message to Corsica? Germany now includes the Kingdom of Bavaria, but what nationalist ideas might take root if secession was shown to be an easy matter of separate membership of the club? Italy is already struggling to keep hold of Tuscany. Belgians might reasonably fear what such an example would show to Walloons and Flemings.
Has any Scottish nationalist asked the present British Prime Minister, or other Cabinet members, whether they would be minded to vote for the inclusion of a newly seceded Scotland in the EU?
It could be awfully cold out there.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 'Necrophilia-obsessed' girl among double murder accused in three-way sex case
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Pharrell Williams says 'Blurred Lines' criticism is out of context
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'