Letter: Smear on police
Tuesday 02 March 1999
They have set themselves up as a little party-political guerrilla band whose chosen sport seems to be hunting the scalps of as many ministers as they can, regardless of the underlying issue. This time, they have decided to use the error of judgement by the Lawrence inquiry team in publishing the names of police informants to add Jack Straw to their collection.
Do they think that making political capital out of what should be a bipartisan issue, the battle against racism in our public institutions, will earn them the gratitude of the victims of this error, or of the Lawrence family or of the British public? Do they imagine that they are performing a useful function in attempting to crucify a minister who had the integrity, which they lacked, to set up this inquiry, because he had the effrontery to go on a weekend break with his family?
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >