Letter: Sober pubs
Wednesday 02 December 1998
Over-consumption of alcohol is often the result of social, cultural or even genetic problems. It is fuelled by poverty, unemployment, and low self-esteem. It is not a coincidence that the group which has been most affected by such problems is young men within the 18-26 category, precisely the group that is rightly associated with "circuit" drinking (prolonged and often troublesome pub crawls around city centres).
Individuals are not going to stop over-drinking merely because access to pubs is restricted. On the contrary, making the traditional pub a less comfortable or available outlet will focus these problem drinkers on the less easily regulated off-trade, and will result in far more social order problems, not less.
Campaign for Real Ale
St Albans, Hertfordshire
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch 'first sexy Holmes', says Mark Gatiss
Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Jessica Alba interview: From Hollywood superwoman to household product CEO
Captain Phillips actor Barkhad Abdi struggles financially despite Oscar nomination
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it