Letter: Speed kills
Tuesday 06 October 1998
Sir: Why are we so surprised that a 19-year-old boy racer has lost control of his sports car and ended up on the pavement killing two elderly sisters ("Teen Porsche driver guilty of killing", 2 October)?
Excessive speed is a factor in one third of all road deaths - that is about three every day of the year. When are we going to learn that if you give people fast cars to drive, they will drive them fast?
The public highway is not the place for these obscenely overpowered cars, which should remain where their designers so often remind us they were conceived - on the racetrack.
Safety for all road users can only be achieved by slowing cars down. This means 20mph limits in all residential areas. It also means fitting variable speed limiters to all cars, since 72 per cent of drivers have no respect for the current 30mph urban limit.
We are fortunate to have gun laws in this country. The time has come for car laws.
Merton Cycling Campaign
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments