Letter: Speed merchants
Her claim that lower speed limits result in drivers arriving at their destinations more quickly beggars belief. She has obviously half-read, wholly misunderstood and badly misquoted the research data, which simply suggest that lower speed limits even out traffic flow on congested roads. Drivers arrive later, but allegedly in a better mood, because they feel that they have travelled more smoothly.
She has also misinterpreted the research data on engine efficiency and pollution. The speed of optimum efficiency and pollution level varies between 50 and 75mph depending on engine size (in addition to many other factors).
So Ms Sloman should drive at 50mph if she has a 1-litre car, whilst I should drive at 70mph in my 2.2-litre car. Perhaps she would like each car to be manufactured with its own speed limit painted on the back, and then we could all drive according to that limit.
Transport 2000, whoever they are, are entitled to speak for themselves. I am delighted to see The Independent speaking for the majority by taking the stance it has on John Prescott's desperate but pathetic attempts to be seen to be doing something - anything - to justify his job.
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor