Letter: Speed merchants
Her claim that lower speed limits result in drivers arriving at their destinations more quickly beggars belief. She has obviously half-read, wholly misunderstood and badly misquoted the research data, which simply suggest that lower speed limits even out traffic flow on congested roads. Drivers arrive later, but allegedly in a better mood, because they feel that they have travelled more smoothly.
She has also misinterpreted the research data on engine efficiency and pollution. The speed of optimum efficiency and pollution level varies between 50 and 75mph depending on engine size (in addition to many other factors).
So Ms Sloman should drive at 50mph if she has a 1-litre car, whilst I should drive at 70mph in my 2.2-litre car. Perhaps she would like each car to be manufactured with its own speed limit painted on the back, and then we could all drive according to that limit.
Transport 2000, whoever they are, are entitled to speak for themselves. I am delighted to see The Independent speaking for the majority by taking the stance it has on John Prescott's desperate but pathetic attempts to be seen to be doing something - anything - to justify his job.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
New Ghostbusters movie lands all-female cast with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes