Letter: Start of the carnival
Friday 21 May 1999
It was in fact started then by an Irish mother to entertain the many deprived tiny tots, mainly Irish and Caribbean, who could not afford to go away from Notting Hill on holiday.
Because of the race riots 10 years earlier Notting Hill was synonymous in the world outside with racial unrest; but in 1968 those who worked in social care there, myself among them, agreed that the odd thing was that, while we discussed together every local social problem under the sun, "race" was in itself not one of them.
Books And it is whizzpopping!
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
- 2 Novel Scarlett Johansson tried to ban, Grégoire Delacourt’s The First Thing You See, to be published in UK
- 3 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 4 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
- 5 Carol Vorderman reveals she is 'covered in burns' after she fell off her treadmill while running naked
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe the Stark may have a twin sister
Friends fan comes up with horribly dark alternative ending to sitcom
Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
Dismaland: The artists doing cooler things than Banksy at his 'bemusement park'
Novel Scarlett Johansson tried to ban, Grégoire Delacourt’s The First Thing You See, to be published in UK
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs