Letter: Tardis adrift
Wednesday 14 October 1998
Sir: That the final episode of Doctor Who's "The Tenth Planet" was lost after compilation of a 1973 episode of Blue Peter (letter, 12 October) is not quite true. BBC Enterprises was still marketing the complete "Tenth Planet" well into 1974.
However a second episode used in the same Blue Peter programme did go missing after the show. The episode, part of the epic William Hartnell tale "The Daleks' Masterplan" was signed out of the film library by a J Smith. Strangely enough, the false name used by the Doctor himself on the programme was John Smith.
Next month sees the 35th anniversary of Doctor Who and despite the amazing efforts of fans and archivists 110 episodes still remain missing. I hope the renewed interest helps to unearth some of these missing half hours. Maybe even the mysterious J Smith will step forward.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
What are the worst 'Word Crimes'?
Hercules, review: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson takes centre stage in preposterous film
Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
Noel Fielding's 'Luxury Comedy': A land of the outright bizarre
Can Secret Cinema sell 80,000 'Back to the Future' tickets?
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia