Letter: Terror tactics
First, by announcing its bombing of a "poison gas" factory in a Khartoum suburb, the United States is clearly prepared to risk vast "collateral" casualties from released gases which might drift over the crowded city.
Second, the mere fact of an American response will enormously enhance the prestige of the Bin Laden faction in the eyes of the radicals and zealots everywhere. President Clinton will prove to be Bin Laden's most valuable recruiting sergeant.
Third, an increasing number of Arabs will conclude that the West cannot perceive them as human beings. To kill half a million Iraqi children through sanctions on the absurd claim that this will exercise pressure on Saddam Hussein, and then to object with an air of hurt innocence when armed gangs retaliate on an infinitely smaller scale, is to deny the principle of human equality.
Like violence in Ulster, Middle Eastern radicalism must be dealt with at a level of causes, not of symptoms. And those causes include the sanctions on Iraq and the indifference towards the continued expansion of Israeli settlement on the West Bank. Unless these two injustices are resolved, the dangerous process of alienation will continue.
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories