Letter: The bottom line
Friday 21 August 1998
The bottom line
Sir: In an otherwise fine article about British men's publications' penchant for cover babes to boost sales (Review, 18 August), writers Paul McCann and David Thomas get it all wrong when they explain American magazine Movieline's reluctance to put Liz Hurley's bum on the cover.
"Too shocking for American sensibilities?" Not at all - a few rows up from Movieline on the news-stand Americans can buy mags featuring men's erections, simulated sex (in various combinations) and other activities that are illegal to publish in Britain. Indeed, at certain newsagents you can even get penetration (photographs of it, that is).
Movieline's unease about the Hurley photo had more to do with its readership - half of whom are women and, judging from their advertisements, a significant number are gay men - not exactly the market that Hurley's bum would appeal to. There is a difference between a movie magazine and a men's magazine: if McCann and Thomas took long enough to stop ogling the cover, they might notice.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >