Letter: The Omagh legacy
Wednesday 19 August 1998
If he means the former, then we do indeed have reason to celebrate: we can assume that the Sinn Fein deputy leader has embraced the democratic process by implying that all means, including the British security forces, should be employed to combat the arbitrary violence of the Real IRA.
If the latter interpretation is closer to the mark, then he is shifting the onus for the bombing from the Real IRA on to the British presence in Northern Ireland, an implication that tacitly acknowledges the actual or potential violence that the IRA, Real, Provisional or Continuity, lends to the republican cause even after the promise of the Good Friday agreement.
Wookey Hole, Somerset
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up