Letter: The real millennium
Monday 27 December 1999
By mistaking the count of "one" as marking the beginning of a unit when it clearly marks the end. And by asserting that because zero has no content it also has no function.
This is not, as Dr Williams maintains, the 1,999th year since the birth of Christ but the 2,000th, hence our description of the current century as the 20th century. And the reason none of us claim to living in our "0th year" is that the time from our birth until our first birthday is our 1st year.
If Dr Williams's view were correct, the first century would have begun on 1 January in the year 0001 and his own life would have begun when he reached the age of one - clearly preposterous suggestions.
The first century began on 1 January in the year 000, and Dr Williams's first year began when he was born and ended when he reached the age of one.
Similarly, the 21st century will begin on 1 January in the year 2000, and on 1 January 2001, both the 21 century and the third millennium will be one year old, so can we please have an end to these illogical and rather pointless assertions.
Arts & Ents blogs
The Full Monty to close in West End after one month despite Olivier nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is not bad
Halle Berry's X-Men: Days of Future Past role cut down to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli on why she wants more male nudity in the show
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers