Letter: Timor's innocents
Never, never have they been tempted to carry on the trade of terrorist and take the war outside the boundaries of their homeland. No Indonesian embassy has been attacked, no buses of innocent civilians raked with machine- gun fire and grenades, no aircraft brought from the sky. No city centre has been car-bombed and littered with the bodies of passers-by.
The East Timorese have the complete moral high ground. They have been repressed by a brutal military which has the uniform and arms of a disciplined army but none of the codes or discipline.
Surely now the United Nations should accept that the loss of a third of the population is enough and seek to impose peace-keeping troops before more of these innocent people are sacrificed.
East Timor Support Group UK
Arts & Ents blogs
There are a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refl...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
Coronation Street triumphs over EastEnders at British Soap Awards 2013
The Hangover III star Heather Graham: I'll miss playing a sexy stripper because my real life is pretty boring
Hollywood practices random acts of red-carpet kindness
Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico
Cannes Film Festival 2013: And why exactly are vous here?
- 1 Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect attended meetings of banned Islamist group - and were known by security services
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.