Letter: To school by car
Friday 21 May 1999
Is it really possible to divorce school runs from the wider changes in our society - the fear of "stranger danger", parents often placing their children in schools which are not geographically the closest and, above all, the rise in working mothers who have to fit the school run into increasingly busy lives?
If central government is really serious about tackling this issue why doesn't it help fund school buses that would have designated pickup points and in one fell swoop cut down car use?
If local authorities and schools want to reduce car use and the "chaos" outside schools, why not have pre-school clubs or supervised time before school starts. The gates of my children's school open at 10 minutes to nine, precluding parents having any flexibility in getting their children to school and themselves on to work in reasonable time.
I would like to see the response of some male Members of Parliament and "spokesmen" if they had the responsibility of getting their children to and from school on a daily basis.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Eminem, Drake and Jay Z among Spotify's most-streamed artists of 2013
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert