Letter: Tour of Wessex
Thursday 24 June 1999
Tour of Wessex
Sir: I feel I must take John Walsh to task over his comments about the title of Earl of Wessex ("Why not make him Duke of Borchester?", 21 June).
First, his careless remarks about Hardy's Wessex place names: Casterbridge was in fact Dorchester, while Sherton Abbas was his name for Sherborne and Salisbury was Melchester.
Second, the assertion that Wessex is merely a literary identity: Wessex was a kingdom in every way that Essex, Sussex and Anglia were kingdoms though, like Mercia and Northumbria, it was too large to have been converted in whole into a county by the Normans. When Wessex became part of a greater England, ruled by both English/Saxon and Danish kings, earldoms were created (not just "dreamt up" by King Canute) and there were real Earls of Wessex.
And of course there is one obvious connection between the new Earl of Wessex and King Alfred (the Great) of Wessex: Alfred was, arguably, the last Really Useful monarch in the British Isles.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 David De Gea transfer collapses: Manchester United goalkeeper's £29m move to Real Madrid off - because paperwork 'not done in time'
- 3 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the word become popular?
- 4 Isis releases graphic video showing four Shia 'spies' being burned alive in Anbar, Iraq
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge on the show?'
Wes Craven dead: Why Johnny Depp owes his career to director’s 13-year-old daughter
Trevor Noah, Edinburgh Fringe review: New Daily Show host warms up in inspired style
VMAs 2015: You can already buy ‘Kanye West for president’ t-shirts
VMAs 2015: Taylor Swift and her buddy Kendrick Lamar clean-up at awards - full list of winners
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
UN investigating British Government over human rights abuses caused by IDS welfare reforms