Letter: Travellers welcome
Saturday 28 August 1999
They were a pleasant, happy group, increasing rather than limiting our enjoyment of the day. Their smallest child - aged three or four - was heard to ask which was the rubbish bag, and when they left there was absolutely no litter at all.
Apparently they come to the area every year to work on a farm and are welcomed. A small sample, but how big was Jack Straw's (report, 24 August)?
Your reporter found no actual evidence of crime, and who did trash the official transit site at Chiseldon, thus denying ratepayers a return on their investment in the form of travellers' rents?
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland