Letter: Turn again, Norris
Wednesday 15 December 1999
When the UK is compared with other countries, our well-off seem not quite so well-off. Research at Sussex University has shown that when we compare our professional and managerial classes, those in Sweden have a mortality rate which is 20 per cent better than ours. The Japanese, who were neck and neck with us 25 years ago, now have the greatest life expectancy of the industrialised nations.
These discrepancies arise from the difference in income between the richest and the poorest, with the increase in stress brought about by high differentials leading to higher rates of overworking, drug-taking, crime, insecurity and suchlike, all of which affect the richest as well as the poorest. Which is why perhaps, the Americans do even less well than we do.
Our policy of blaming the poor for their poverty is an oversimplification which hurts the rich as well.
W J HYDE
Arts & Ents blogs
One Direction urge fans to lobby George Osborne about corporate tax avoidance
What are the best first lines in fiction?
EDL Girls: Don't Call Me Racist, BBC3 - TV review: EDL Angel gets into a right muddle
Russell Crowe's Noah banned in three Arab countries before worldwide premiere
Call The Midwife: Jessica Raine leaves in series three finale
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow