Letter: UK role in Europe
Wednesday 28 July 1999
We are sometimes told that the fundamental goal of the EU is to end European wars (by creating a federal superstate). Since Charlemagne, the main theme of European political history has been the struggle for continental hegemony between the powers we now call France and Germany. From this perspective, a "Europe of regions" run by a Franco-German axis might be just what is needed.
The UK, however, is not part of this ancient historical problem, which is why talk of our "influence" in the EU, or lack of it, is irrelevant nonsense. We do not need to meddle in or pay for this latest attempt at a solution.
Becoming a "first-rank" member of the EMU would qualify and compel us to pay more heavily for the huge social security liabilities of the axis countries and many of their satellites, and for their new imperial ambitions in the East. For this privilege, we would surrender what is left of our independence and liberties to blundering institutions destructive of democracy and public probity.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture