Letter: Unkind cut
Thursday 24 September 1998
As for her suggestion that circumcision is a good thing because the result is "far more aesthetically pleasing", I wonder how many penises she is planning to look at. Must every baby boy on earth be circumcised just in case Ms West should one day feel inclined to assess the aesthetic pleasingness of his private parts? And what about all the women and gay men whose aesthetic tastes differ from hers?
If Ms West "cannot think of a good reason" for keeping foreskins where nature intended, perhaps she should ask a few uncircumcised men whether they fancy the operation. She will quickly discover one very good reason indeed: we don't like the idea of bits of our genitalia being cut off.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
Best TV shows on Netflix: 26 series to binge on
'Phallic symbols' found hidden in famous Pre-Raphaelite painting 'Isabella' by John Everett Millais
Top Gear Burma episode breached Ofcom rules over Jeremy Clarkson's racial slur
Game of Thrones season 4 blooper reel unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling