Letter: Unnatural farming
Friday 03 September 1999
More than 40 people have died from eating BSE-infected beef. Salmonella is endemic in poultry. Food animals are routinely given antibiotics as prophylactics and growth promoters.
It is clear that unnatural feed and the drugs that enable animals to survive the misery of factory farming are always likely to endanger our health. At the individual level, the solution is vegetarianism or veganism. At the European level, factory farming should be banned for our sake as well as for the sake of the animals.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >