Letters: In Brief
Monday 24 May 1999
Sir: David Aaronovitch ("Yes, I smack my kids too, but it's an admission of my failure", 21 May) has failed to make any distinction between a parent losing control and grabbing a child tightly or smacking on the back of the legs and a man pulling an eight-year-old girl's knickers down in public and smacking her bare buttocks. With the first most children learn not to push their parents too far; the second is abuse.
Sir: There was another film about the Notting Hill area and it was earlier than 10 Rillington Place ("It's Notting Hill, but not as I know it", 20 May). It was called W11 and starred Alfred Lynch, a much better actor than Hugh Grant. Maybe they'll bring it out on video now that the area is getting all this publicity.
Sir: Further to the recent letter from the Labour supporter (17 May), I would like to point out that there is only one party that not only is against the euro, but wishes to keep our system of law known as habeas corpus - as opposed to all British MEPs bar three. That is the UK Independence Party and we are standing in all constituencies.
J W SMITH
UK Independence Party
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict