Letters: In Brief
Tuesday 09 June 1998
Tragic though it was, the 1988 Clapham crash is far from being Britain's worst rail disaster (report, 4 June). About 227 died in the 1915 Quintinshill collision and fire, and there have been eight further disasters with death tolls greater than that at Clapham.
Lewes, East Sussex
Consciousness may be difficult to define ("Does your pet have an inner life?" 8 June) but is comprehensible nonetheless. The difference between a malfunctioning washing machine and a sick dog is that, for most people, the former elicits irritation and the latter compassion. Anyone who denies that a dog has a consciousness is out of their mind.
Lecturer in Philosophy
Richmond, the American International University in London
P S. for those interested in the correlation between philosophers and pets, I am the proud owner of Sable, a black cocker spaniel.
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track