Letters: In Brief
Tuesday 16 June 1998
Since there are many similar published studies, he evidently did not look very far.
Association for Public Health
Sir: Lord Bingham is right to warn the Lord Chancellor not to abandon legal aid in favour of no-win, no-fee deals (Podium, 15 June). The cost of legal aid would be very substantially reduced if legal representation in court were to be restricted to junior council or a solicitor on both sides in any case where either party were deemed entitled to legal aid.
Sir: Pandora (2 June) quotes my voting record in the last session of Parliament (1996-97) when I was mostly out of the country. I am an independent crossbench peer and, as such, I choose to vote only on issues where I have relevant knowledge.
House of Lords
Sir: What on earth are the Lib Dems doing cosying up to Labour like this? This is their chance of the century. The Tories are out for the count. The Lib Dems should be taking over as the only effective opposition to Labour. Strange death of Liberal England indeed!
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’