Letters: In Brief
Friday 13 November 1998
Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire
Sir: So George Robertson, the Defence Secretary, believes that "What people do in their private lives, as long as it doesn't affect others, is a matter for them" ("Brown's gay? So what?", 9 November). Oh yeah? What about the gay forces personnel driven from their careers, solely to indulge the hang-ups of homophobes they had to serve with or under?
Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Sir: Whoever thought up 1 January 2000 for celebration, a year early, of the millennium was not so daft after all ("Pubs offered licence to party like it's 1999", 10 November). With boozing unlimited and everyone pie-eyed, no one will notice, perhaps for weeks, that the computers have failed and everything has stopped. No riots, nothing but a big, contented purr.
Budleigh Salterton, Devon
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate