Literature: Raymond Carver
Saturday 07 November 1998
It's been 10 years since Carver's untimely death at the age of 50. To mark the occasion, writers including Julian Barnes, Blake Morrison and Graham Swift are lining up to read their favourite Carver stories at a sparkling memorial event. If you enjoyed Altman's film version of Carver's Short Cuts, discover quite how much your body temperature can soar hearing his other stories. Full of life. Always life.
An Evening for Raymond Carver, Battersea Town Hall, Lavender Hill, London SW11 (0171-836 6757) Tues 8pm.
`Where I'm Calling From: The Selected Stories of Raymond Carver' is published by Harvill at pounds 16.99 and available in Waterstones only
TVJamie's Sugar Rush reveal's campaigning chef's new foe
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees