Lyric Sheets; A Nation of Music Lovers
Friday 03 December 1999
"Break out the cigars boys
I can feel it in my bones."
Said Brenda at the Hospice Shop
"Music sales are up this year."
As cloth-eared Britons everywhere
Prepare for party-time again.
And having got a house at last
I thought I'd fill it up with sound
By championing outlets which
Sell tapes and CDs by the pound
Torn between The Golden Hour of Harry Secombe
And The World of Fairground Organs
At 20 pence a shot or less
I'd have them both and then progress
To Help the Aged
And still have change from 50p.
Then who knows what
Might come to light, that rocks
In some old cardboard box.
"Music. Proper music, boys.
Tried and trusted over time
Not fifteen quid a shot
For some old rubbish in the charts."
Said Brenda at the Hospice Shop:
"James Last, Russ Conway,
Lena Horne, the Lennon Sisters;
Best Loved Catholic Hymns.
You won't go wrong with that."
I blew my one pound forty in
The Land Beyond the Bargain Bin
In boot sales, jumblies, bring'n'buys
The stuff they never talk about
In Loaded, Q and NME
Seems perfectly alright to me
Yeah. Break out those cigars, boys.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it